Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Global Influences in Design


I recently wrote an article for iDiva.com and thought of sharing it with you today.

Here are some excerpts from the article and a few images from my home!




"There are many ways to incorporate global influences while designing your home. I personally don’t consider this style as traditional or ethnic. There
can be modern interpretations of culturally-influenced designs. Tribal-influenced design
is all about bold patterns and colors. However, you can present it in the modern
environment by tempering it with a lighter color palette and subtler details."




The editor of DÉCOR magazine is quoted as saying, “great design transcends
geographic borders, so now is not the time to be timid about getting away and
bringing back bits from abroad. Traveling with an open mind, a keen eye, and
a willing wallet is the easiest way to give your rooms a lived-in, many-layered,
culture-conscious look.”

I could not agree more!



You can read the entire article here!



For me each of these exquisite hand-embroidered fabrics come with a story. The bedspread in the first image, the one with the white base was bought by my mother for me.  I think it was the early 90's when I was still in college. We were travelling in Rajasthan ( India) and found this in a tiny village. The bedspread is over 20 years old but continues to be a favorite in my linen closet :)  The dark red rug is from Mexico. I found it at a night market by the beach. There are many stories I could share......but I will stop rambling now :) 



This is the time for craft revival around the world and that makes it an interesting time in the design world. Whether you incorporate just a few elements or more, bringing global influences into home décor seems to be a strong design trend for 2013.



What are your thoughts on this topic? I would love to hear from you.








 


 


 




 


 


 




 


 


Images: My Home and subject to copyright!


 


 


Joining Tuesday Treasures at My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia.


Joining Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage.


Joining the Aloha Friday Blog Hop at What Jean Likes.


No comments:

Post a Comment