Friday, June 15, 2007

Black Jamuns & Nostalgia...

I googled 'Kala Jamun' since I didn't know what this fruit is called in the rest of the world...

I learnt that Kala Jamun or the Black Plum is found in India, Sri Lanka & the Andaman Islands and is a seasonal fruit which floods the markets during May to August.
This fruit holds a special place in my heart, probably the chamber where childhood memories are stored. Well, was that the heart or the brain?
Nevermind...!

* I recall eating loads of them and then running to the mirror to see if my tongue had become purple.

* Drinking water after eating Jamun and landing up with a sore throat.

* Picking up the berries from purple coloured foot-path, under the huge Jamun trees lining the roads...

* Listening to one particular bedtime folk story about a monkey who lived on a Jamun tree and a crocodile who lived on the banks of a river..(Does any one recall this story??)

No comments:

Post a Comment