Tuesday, January 3, 2012

a handful of bokul phool for you Ma!

Having seen this intricately carved structure on the way to The House of MG, Ahmedabad, we decided to explore it later in the evening.
jain1
This is in the Hatheesing Jain Temple compound, a temple built in the 19th century dedicated to Dharamnath, the 15th Jain Tirthankara.

We got there as dusk set in bringing with it the ochre glow of ghee lamps in the temple.
Marveling at the ornate marble architecture, the peaceful atmosphere in the courtyard we sat on the warm stone corridor just to be in the moment. What a serene moment it was...

As we stepped out, my daughter came running to me with tiny pale white flowers that she had collected from under the tree in the courtyard.

Oh that mild fragrance! It is the bokul phool!

My mother's bokul phool. The flower that is so dear to my Ma.

She had told me stories of her growing years in Kolkata where trees of bokul phool that lined the streets would spread a carpet of these delicate flowers on the black tar roads. How she would run to gather them in the pallu of her half saree. String them together and adorn her long black plait with it.

jain3
With the fragrance came the memories of the stories that I had heard and vividly visualized. I passed on the story to my daughter, saw that twinkle in her eyes as she ran to collect some more...

jain4
So here is a handful of bokul phool for you Ma!

A very small gift for you on your special day. Happy Birthday Ma.

No comments:

Post a Comment